Here's a nice little article/interview sent to me from #1 research assistant Sarah about supermarkets.http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200611/supermarket.asp
I like this quote: It's clearly good to have fewer pesticides in the soil and water--not to mention in your body and your children's bodies--which is why it's good to buy organic. But organic junk food is still junk food.
I think she makes a good point here. We definitely need to read labels, even on organic foods, but I will say that I'm glad there are (organic) alternatives out there for snacks that are better than the name brand versions. My main thing with these snack-type foods right now is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)*, which I'm trying to avoid. Here are a few yummy snacks that I buy for Gigi (and mommy & daddy too).
- 365 Organic Quack'n Bites (a Gigi-friendly alternative to Gold Fish)
- Cascadian Farm Organic Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (David's new Favorite!)
- TJ's "This Blueberry Walks Into a Bar..." Cereal Bars
- O Organics for Toddlers (Safeway) Organic Cereal Bars
- Hansen's Creamy Root Beer (not for Gigi, don't worry!!)
- TJ's Joe's Os or Cascadian Farms Os